|Short Answer Questions 2004|
TUESDAY 20th January 2004
TIME ALLOWED FOR THIS EXAMINATION: 3 HOURS
PLEASE ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU DO NOT SPEND MORE THAN 15 MINUTES ON EACH QUESTION.
2. What are the current therapeutic strategies in HIV?
7. How is the outflow of aqueous from the eye regulated?
8. Describe the components of an electroretinogram and relate these
to their cellular
12. What is an auto-antibody? What auto-antibodies are implicated in
1. Write short notes on the effects of hypertension on the blood vessels of the retina.
2. List the most common adverse reactions to antibiotics.
4. With the aid of a diagram describe the autonomic control of tear
5. Describe the embryological development of the vitreous.
6. Give an account of anatomy of the macula and relate this to function.
7. Describe the process of photoreceptor renewal and the physiological
8. Write short note on the regulation of the water content of the cornea.
9. Describe the biochemical structure of DNA and the mechanism of transcription.
10. Describe with the aid of a diagram the molecular and cellular events
11. Write short notes on the mechanisms of action of three intraocular
1) With the aid of a digram describe the structure and anatomical relationships
2)Describe the anatomy and relations of the lateral geniculate body.
3) Describe the cellular events during healing of the corneal epithelium.
4) Write short notes on structures derived from neuroepithelium.
5) Compare and contrast cross sectional, prospective, retrospective
6) Describe the layers of Bruch's membrane and their major extracellular
7) Write short notes on second messenger systems.
8) What is meant by direct and indirect allograft rejection? Is HLA
9) Write short notes on the herpes group of viruses including their
10) Describe the process with which neutrophils migrate to the sites
11) Decribe the neural control of aqueous secretion and how glaucoma
12) Write short notes on