|Short Answer Questions 2003|
1. List factors that are thought to be important stimulators and inhibitors
2. Draw an annotated diagram to show the blood supply of the anterior part of the eye.
3. What structural chromosomal abnormalities
may occur and give three examples of
4. List the roles of glutamate in synaptic
transmission between photoreceptor and
5. List six clinical or pathological features of giant cell arteritis.
6. List ways by which organisms acquire antibiotic resistance.
7. Draw an annotated diagram describing
the topographical anatomy of the
8. What are interferons? List their role in the immune response against viruses.
9. Write short notes on : a. Crystallins and b. Elastin.
10. List how hydration of the cornea contributes to transparency.
11. List six important complications of HIV infection.
12. What are the association areas of the visual cortex? List how they
1. What is a protein kinase? List how it may be involved in the regulation
2. Write short notes on
3. Write short notes on melanin synthesis, list two conditions in which
4. Describe with the aid of diagrams the topographical and microscopic
5) List the evidence that inflammation is important in the development of atheroma.
6. List mechanisms by which the cornea is protected from infection.
7. Draw an annotated diagram of the vascular supply to the optic nerve and nerve head.
8. What is TGF-b? List how it is involved in wound healing.
9. List the composition and function of the interphotoreceptor matrix.
10. Draw a diagram to describe the secretion of aqueous humour.
11. Draw a diagram of a gram-postive organism and indicate the site
of action of
12. Describe with diagram the anatomy of the vitreoretinal interface.
1. Write short notes on atherosclerosis in the carotid artery.
2. Write short notes on the pseudomonas bacterium.
3. Give an account of the HLA system.
4. Describe with the aid of a diagram the cavernous sinus and the anatomical
5. Describe the anatomy and histology of the corneal limbus and relate
6. Write short notes on retinal neuroglia.
7. Describe the mechanisms of control of horizontal eye movements.
8. Write short notes on the visual evoked potential.
9. Write short notes on mitochondrial inheritance and briefly describe
10. Write short notes on:
a) growth factors
12. Write short notes on immunological tolerance.