Final FRCS /MRCS
Date: June 2010
I am Dr M. Khizar Niazi and I have ALHAMDULILLAH cleared Final FRCS Glasgow held in Amman in June 2010. I dedicate my success to my family for their support and prayers without which it would not have been possible. I would like to thank everyone who helped me. My main resources were the Chua web page, Kanski, Oxford hand book of ophthalmology and Prof Muthusamys online course along with the exam materials and discussions of FCRS and FRCOphth yahoo groups. i went thru pics and short comments in the will eye atlas of ophthalmology before orals. Here is a brief Part-3 overview.
We were told that each examiner would ask atleast two questions in his allocated 9 min with specific stems in each questions and answers were graded from 1-6 (A response of 1-3 was considered fail in that question).The good thing was that all questions carried equal marks and you could compensate a suboptimal performance in one question with a good performance in the other.
Ophth surgery and Pathology
Gen Medicine and Neurology
Each room had 3 patients and 2 examiners .10 mins in each room. were told that we had to examine atleast 2 patients in each room and if time allowed then examiners would let you examine the third. We were told that the patients were already given instructions about exam and it was understood that you have exchanged greetings and asked their permission and we had to proceed directly to the command given by the examiners.
Neurolophthalmology and Motility
· Accommodative esotropia partially corrected with glasses…….tx options
· INO Rt and V pattern exotropia Lt …. Cause
Oculoplastics and lids
· Congenital severe ptosis Rt …..causes of amblyopia
· OCP……Features…Treatment what other body part will you examine
· Essential Myokymia Lt half of face…..Etiology and Treatment
· Pseudophakia with IOL Subluxation…causes, treatment options refract, miotics, surgery depending upon zonular integrity
· PKP Rt with KPs, causes of early rejection, why early rejection here, see other eye, I said there could be possibility of 2nd transplant in this eye and that could result in early rejection, he agreed
· 90 D with prp marks and burnt out DR, see other eye, hyphema with rubeosis and sclerostomy ports indicating PPV, and limbal section he asked reason, I said probably to drain hyphema in past.
· I/O pale discs, causes of sudden loss of vision.